Monday 20 June 2011

WIG? - Place.


DAY 1

I didn't know what to expect when i first arrived at Creative Concern and although I'm keen to get involved and learn it was quite unnerving.

My first impression was literally 'WOW', the studio is brilliant, it's and open plan studio at the top of a 5 storey warehouse which is situate in a back street of Manchester's northern quarter. The bricks and wooden beams give the place a very warm and comfortable feel and as you walk in you get the feeling that you've entered someones home and not a workplace.

I could actually live here, they have a kitchen a shower a TV (mainly used for pitches and presentations, but a TV nonetheless) and a great view out of the window. I've had to bring in my own computer to work on as the laptops they use when freelancers come in to work are a bit slow. This I found has be a plus as i cant access lots of my work and files etc.

To begin with I was introduce briefly to some of the projects that the company are working on. The first being promotional materials for an exhibition of some of Andy Warhol's work that will be held at the Lowry titled 'Warhol & The Diva'. My task was to trace the original outline of the words '& The Diva' and then scan it to illustrator to the be traced to make a pathway to be used as a window and crop out an image so it would show through the font. This was then sent off to print and it is now featured on the flyers and leaflets for the exhibition.

It's all very exciting and this was all in a mornings work :)

This is the path that i created for the image to be applied to.


I was then shown some of the work a project titled 'Rock and Soul' which was based upon a collection of Beatles memorabilia that is based in Memphis. The work that was already produce was of collaged images cropped, rotated and composed to make interesting visuals that would be used on websites and on the sides of trams. Rob (Creative Director) asked me to look through some other photos and create some more variations and be creative in what i could compose.

Soon after this was done and I'd had a chance to look through some more of the artwork for the other projects that are ongoing, I was allowed to sit in on a briefing for a re branding job for the BBC's business and finance department. It was interesting to see how the briefings worked as I've only every been briefed in a large group on the course the way it works at Creative Concern is similar however they are much more condensed. The only people present apart from myself were the creative director, the financial manager and the designer. They discussed the outlines of the brief and began to define what the key elements the client wanted to be included in the response. I remained quite during this first briefing as I thought it would be best to observe how its carried out and to listen to what sort of points they address. There was a lot of 'consideration' in terms of the time limit, financial restrictions and the overall aim of what the work is trying to do for the client.

Once the briefing was over I was asked to search for photos and source images for the project and to gather visuals that would be both inspiring and useful. They introduced me to the IStock website and showed me how to create a 'lightbox' which is where you can pool all the images that you find into one online folder so you can compare them.

Before I knew it, it was time to head home, although you can stay as long as you need, it was 5 o'clock and I was hungry.



No comments:

Post a Comment