Thursday 23 June 2011

WiG? - Place.


DAY 4

No field trips today, instead I just got on with some personal research. One thing that has been really beneficial is the time between the tasks that I get given, I use this to search for useful and interesting things to blog and draw inspiration from. So far I've found two competition briefs which would result in my work being shown in a bar and on a street pack across Leeds and other major cities.

Soon though I was sitting in on the equivalent of a progress crit on the BBC project, where Neil (designer) showed his designs and ideas so far. I took notes on the things they address and noted how Neil had been working and his concepts behind the work produced. The crit was really casual and was just at his desk next to mine so it was quick and to the point.

The crit really opened my eyes to what can be done with just one piece of artwork. The initial design produce had been replicated and reused in different compositions but across a range of media that would commonly be used by this particular client. This seems to cut the work load down severely as they as for multiple deliverables all on different formats and doing this keeps a consistent aesthetic and works well. 

Neil presented 3 of the strongest ideas all of which differed from each other so we could get a good variation in response and see different angles of the brief. They discussed in detail what the client is most likely to go for and what works well and what doesn't or what could be improved or used in different ways. I noticed that Rob had an inquisitive role in the crit, asking questions that would lead to more compositions and ways in which the designs could be applied.

They had pretty much decided on which idea to go forward which but they wanted to see what i had come up with. I talked them through my initial ideas and imagery that i had designed which compared to Neil's wasn't as extensive however they didn't dismiss any of the ideas entirely and gave me some guidance to go forward and develop them.

For the rest of the afternoon I worked on my designs and came up with numerous variations.








This one above is probably my favourite although it is moving away from the original cog idea that the others went for when I presented my work to them.










Today I stayed behind for an extra hour and joined Rob (Creative Director) and Chris (Co-Founder of Creative Concern) at the Lowry for the opening night of the 'Warhol & The Diva' exhibition.

It was a good collection of Warhol's work and some had never or rarely been seen before. I particularly appreciated a set of polaroid portraits that Warhol used to take before make his large screen prints. I also learnt that Warhol set up a magazine called 'Interview' which would feature a different person ever month. Prints of the covers were exhibited and the majority had a similar aesthetic to the screen prints that he made.


No comments:

Post a Comment