Friday 24 June 2011

WiG? - Place.




DAY 5

Today was really nice as I got stuck in with some design work and continued to develop my ideas and designs for the BBC icon.

Firstly I just developed the icon that I had previously designed. Rob treats me just as any other employee and gives me direction and asks vital questions to help me progress and address different aspects of the task at hand.




After I done these I applied them the the web heading format to see how they would work.


Rob particularly liked this one below.




After this I continued my development of the cog idea as a web heading. It was suggested to me to try simplifying it and just having the seven cogs to represent the seven aspects of the Finance & Business department.

At first I tried this one to use the space in a visually engaging way.

Then I tried it so the text and image worked next to each other and didn't affect each other from overlaying.


Then I was suggested that I try it with just one colour coming through to make it seem like the Finance & Business is the key cog that links up all the rest. I'm not too keen on this idea as I find it less engaging and it could undermine the other departments of the BBC.



Whats more, Niel found a clip of a BBC opening credits which actually uses cogs in the motion graphics which makes the idea much more relevant than I first anticipated.



I picked up the fact that a lot of effort goes into selling an idea to the client through the presentation. Rob showed me some pictures of the wall spaces we looked at at the Whitworth where he had simple added text into them to imitate what the printed vinyls would look like on the walls. Using the visuals is a good way of really showing the client what you mean when your talking about your work. It reminded me of some of the group briefs that we did as others in the year had used this technique in there presentations.

Furthermore, I noticed that Neil was making a presentation for the concept of his ideas for the BBC branding and using the artwork in a presentation for artwork was a really clever idea as the designs are meant to be for presentations and web headings. These are things to consider for future presentations.

No comments:

Post a Comment